What is a Tax File Number?
A Tax File Number (TFN) is a unique 9 digit number the Australian Government uses to identify you for taxation purposes.
Do I need a Tax File Number?
You don't have to have a TFN, but without one you pay more tax. You also won't be able to apply for government benefits, lodge your tax return electronically or get an Australian business number (ABN).
I’m heading to Oz to work - what documents do I need?
If you’re already in Australia or are planning to go there soon, you’ll need your passport number and your Australian phone and postal address.
What if I already have a TFN
Only one TFN will ever be issued to you. Once you have a TFN , you don't need to re-apply for one if your circumstances change, for example, if you change your name, have investments or claim government benefits.
I have a TFN but lost it?
If you already have a TFN, but do not know what it is, go through this application process and indicate when asked that you already have a TFN. A notice with your TFN will be forwarded to you.
How long does it take to get a TFN?
ATO standard processing time is 28 days, but they usually process the applications in two weeks
How does the GetTaxSolutions service work?
- 1. Submit your details to us
- 2. Pay our processing fee of 20.00 AUD
- 3. We will confirm the reception to you and will submit your TFN application within 12 hours or if you are still not in Australia we will keep your details on file and we will do this immediately after your arrival when you already have an Australian address
- 4. We will provide to you the application reference number, so that you can provide it to your employer in order not to be charged at the higher tax rate in Australia.
- 5. You will receive the Tax File Number at your Australian address. ATO standard processing time is 28 days, but they usually process the applications in two weeks.
Where do I start?
If you like to avail of our Tax File Number solution, ...