How much does it cost to file a tax return?
We provide to you a free online estimation tool to check your tax return amount. The fee for a standard tax return is 57.00 NZD (in case of complicated tax affairs additional fee may apply)
Will I definitely get a refund?
No. The tax return amount depends on a number of factors including what tax you’ve paid, what your income was and any offsets and work-related expenses incurred during the tax year. However, we’ll apply all the expenses and deductions you can avail of to reduce your tax liability and maximize your refund.
When the Income tax year starts and finish in New Zealand
The tax year in New Zealand start on April 1 st and finishes on March 31 st each year;
Will I be fined for not filing a tax return on time?
For individuals who fail to organize and lodge their Income tax returns before the deadline set by the Authorities which is July 7 th after each tax year end, IRD usually(but not always) impose Late Filing Penalty if NZD 50.
What documents do I need?
To provide the best solution for filing your return, we’ll need:
- 1. A copy of your photo identification
- 2. All payment summary(ies)/Final Cumulative payslip(s) from your employer(s)
- 3. Signed letter of engagement appointing us as your tax affairs representatives
- 4. Any additional documents relevant for your particular tax situation.
- 5. valid visa allowing you to work and live in New Zealand
What expenses can I claim?
Our aim is to put as many dollars back in your pocket. We deliver that by claiming the deductions that apply to your situation, in order to reduce your tax liability. We will need to review the specific circumstances surrounding you, things like occupation and expenses made to determine what and to what extend can be used.
Can I claim for expenses if I’ve lost my receipts?
There are no situations where you can claim work-related expenses in case you do not hold the relevant receipts proving these expenses. Please be aware the receipts in question are not being attached to the Income tax return, however, they should be kept in case of them being requested by the IRD following of an additional review of your claim.
How do I know if I'm a resident or non-resident for tax purposes?
The tax residency in New Zealand does not affect the Income tax application and the amount of any refunds owed to you or amounts you might owe to the IRD and the reason behind this is there is no tax-free threshold for the income tax payers, which results in taxation of the 1 st dollar generated for the tax year in question.
How long does it take?
IRD has a processing time of 10 weeks from the date the tax return is accepted with them.
How does the GetTaxSolutions service work?
- 1. Fill your income tax details on our estimator and receive preliminary estimation of the tax amount you are owed or you owe to the Inland Revenue in New Zealand.
- 2. Submit our Online registration form with as many details as possible
- 3. Submit to us your supporting documentation (Summary of earnings, final cumulative Payslips, any expenses receipts relevant to your situation, etc)
- 4. Pay our processing fee of 57.00 NZD (additional fee may apply in case of more complicated tax returns)
- 5. Fill, sign and email to us the authorization form needed to process your application along with a copy of your ID document (photo page and the one including your signature) and also a copy of your visa allowing you to work in New Zealand
- 6. When we receive the above, we will assess your tax situation and will provide you with a final estimation
- 7. As soon as we have all the documents needed to assemble the application everything will be prepared by our tax specialists and emailed back to you, so you can post the tax return to the Authorities
- 8. Inland Revenue Department has a processing time of up to 10 weeks to process your Income Tax Return. The Tax Authorities reserve their right to meet the provided period and in some cases extend it.
Where do I start?
If you like to avail of our New Zealand income tax solution, ...